Bicycle Insurance - Policy Summary
About this document
Please read this document carefully, this provides a summary of cover. It does not show all of the benefits, exclusions or limits. Please refer to your policy booklet and policy schedule for full details of all terms, conditions and endorsements or exclusions and excesses that may apply.
Your Lifestyle Bicycle Insurance is arranged by Motorist Insurance Services Limited and underwritten by UK General Insurance Ltd on behalf of Great Lakes Insurance SE. Registered in England No. SE000083. Registered Office: Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AJ. Motorists Insurance Services Limited and UK General Insurance Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Great Lakes Insurance SE, is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. This can be checked on the Financial Services Register at www.fca.org.uk/firms/systems-reporting/register or by calling them on 0800 111 6768.
Please take the time to read the contents of this policy including how to make a claim.
The proposal or statement of facts and declaration made and signed by You is the basis of and shall form part of this contract.
We will provide insurance within the terms and conditions of this policy for those Sections shown in the Policy Schedule against loss, damage, accident or liability occurring during any Period of Cover for which You have paid or agreed to pay and We have accepted the premium.
Type of insurance: Bicycle
Period of cover: 12 months
Summary of what is covered (Section 1)
Damage to the Cycle and its Accessories including:
• Theft of your cycle from your home.
• Theft of your cycle while away from your home.
• Theft of your cycle from a motor vehicle.
• Accidental damage to your cycle.
• Malicious damage to your cycle.
We agree to pay for repair or replacement, up to the limit stated in your Insurance Schedule, of the cycle owned by you (not hired, loaned or entrusted to you), that has been stolen or sustained accidental damage or malicious damage.
We will pay for the cost of replacement as new providing the damaged cycle was not more than 3 years old at the date of loss and provided it was new when you purchased it. If the cycle was more than 3 years old or was not new at the time of purchase, then we will deal with the claim on an indemnity basis.
We reserve the right to specify a supplier of our choice for the repair or replacement of the cycle or at our discretion offer cash settlement to the indemnity value of the replacement cycle. Cover
is extended to include theft from your home and accidental damage to accessories up to £1,500 in value, where you have paid the appropriate premium and accessories cover is shown on your Insurance Schedule.
Summary of what is NOT covered Your policy will not pay:
- Any applicable excess.
- Theft of the cycle unless substantiated by evidence of ownership.
- Accidental damage to accessories where accessories cover is not shown on your Insurance Schedule.
- Accidental damage to accessories unless substantiated by evidence of ownership.
- Accidental damage to accessories unless accompanied by accidental damage to the cycle.
- Theft of accessories where accessories cover is not shown on your Insurance Schedule. Theft of accessories where accessories cover is not shown on your Insurance Schedule.
- Theft from your home unless:
- The cycle is kept inside the home and any security devices such as door locks are in operation.
- Theft from the home involves forcible and violent entry or exit.
- Theft from any garage, outbuilding, shed, underground car park or communal hallway unless the cycle has been secured to an immovable object with an approved lock through the frame and any quick release wheels substantiated by a sales purchase or till receipt, remains of the lock or the lock key.
- Theft, accidental damage or malicious damage following abandonment or any unexplained theft.
- Theft away from home unless the cycle has been secured to an immovable object with an approved lock through the frame and any quick release wheels.
- Theft from any motor vehicle unless:
- The cycle is completely out of sight or secured through the frame by an approved lock through the frame and any quick release wheels to a roof or cycle rack attached to the motor vehicle.
- The motor vehicle is securely locked and any security devices are in operation.
- Theft is a result of forcible and violent entry.
- Theft from any motor vehicle between the hours of 9pm and 6am unless:
- the vehicle is fitted with a Thatcham category 1 alarm/immobilser or category 2 immobilser or category 3 steering lock.
- If category one or two is not factory fit it must be fitted by a member of the Vehicle Security Installation Board with evidence provided in the event of a claim.
- Loss or damage caused by wear and tear, wet or dry rot, atmospheric conditions, frost, insects, vermin, fungus, domestic pet, or any gradually operating cause.
- Marring, scratching denting or any cosmetic change which does not impair the function of the cycle.
- Claims where the cycle has suffered damage as a result of a manufacturing fault which is still covered under a manufacturer’s warranty.
- Any tyres or fixed accessories unless the cycle was stolen or damaged at the same time.
- Theft by a person to whom the cycle was entrusted, other than a member of your family.
- Theft of the cycle whilst outside the European Union.
- We will not pay for any damage or theft of the cycle and accessories in transit which has not been reported to the carrier and a written report obtained. In the case of an airline a Property Irregularity Report will be required.
- Theft of a cycle that is engaged for use in trade or business purposes (excluding commuting to and from work).
- Theft or malicious damage where a crime reference number cannot be provided.
- Unexplained theft. Accidental damage, theft or malicious damage to any faired recumbent cycle.
is extended to 30 days per trip anywhere in the European Union subject to a maximum of 90 days during any one period of insurance.
is only operative if shown on your policy schedule.
The amount that you are responsible for and which will be deducted, or payable by you, in the event of a claim.
- For claims under sections 1 - 4 inclusive, the excess is £50 or the amount shown on your policy schedule equal to 5% of the insured value, whichever is the higher amount.
- For claims under section 3 the excess is of £250 for each and every claim arising from damage to third party property, and £500 for each and every claim arising from third party injury.
GENERAL SECURITY REQUIREMENTS
Security Requirements where the Cycle is at the Home Accidental or malicious damage or theft of the cycle, whilst at home, shall only be covered in circumstances where the cycle is:
a) kept inside and any security devices are in operation; or
b) stored within
a private garage, privately accessed wooden, plastic or aluminium shed within the boundaries of the home and you have complied with the following security requirements:
• all external doors must be secured by a minimum of a 5 lever mortice deadlock to BS3621 standard or a 5 lever padlock; or
• the cycle must be secured through
the frame by an approved lock to an immovable object within the building; or
c) secured through the frame by an approved lock to an immovable object within the building when at your home, in any location which is described as a communal hallway or communal outbuilding.
Security Requirements where the Cycle is away from the Home Accidental or malicious damage or theft of the cycle, whilst away from the home, shall only be covered in circumstances where:
a) the cycle is not left unattended;
b) where the cycle is left unattended, it must be secured to an immovable object by an approved lock through the frame;
c) any access to the cycle is affected by forcible and violent entry;
d) the cycle is not left unattended within the boundaries of a train station, bus station, coach station or your permanent place of employment, for more than 24 hours and subject to conditions (b) and (c) above.
Security Requirements where the Cycle is in or on a Vehicle Theft whilst the cycle is in or on a vehicle shall only be covered in circumstances where:
a) All doors, windows and other openings of the vehicle and cycle rack are left closed, securely locked and properly fastened;
b) Access to the cycle must have been effected
by forcible and violent entry;
c) Any security devices installed in the vehicle and cycle rack
are in operation;
d) The cycle is stored out of sight wherever possible, or is secured through
the frame by an approved lock to the roof or cycle rack attached to the vehicle;
e) If the cycle is left in the vehicle between the hours of 9pm
the cycle must be covered up so that it is not visible to persons outside of the vehicle.
f) Cycles which are locked on to
the exterior of the vehicle (e.g. by roof
or rear cycle rack) must be removed between the hours of 9pm
and either placed inside the vehicle,
or kept securely in accordance with the policy terms and conditions.
g) Any vehicle used must have:
• valid motor insurance; and
• a valid MOT certificate where applicable; and
• current road tax where applicable; and
• all windows must be capable of being securely fastened and locks must be capable of rendering the vehicle secure.
Making a Claim
If you need to make a claim simply contact our claims helpline for immediate assistance and advice. The claims helpline operates 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday on:
028 90 410220 – ROI: 01 872 0179
Alternatively, you can E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rights of Cancellation
If you decide that for any reason, this policy does not meet your insurance needs then please return it to your agent within 14 days from the day of purchase or the day on which you receive your policy documentation whichever is the later. On the condition that no claims have been made or are pending, your agent will then refund your premium in full.
If you wish to cancel your policy after 14 days you will be entitled to a pro- rata return of premium providing no claims have been made or are pending.
We shall not be bound to accept renewal of any insurance and may at any time cancel any insurance document by giving 14 days notice in writing where there is a valid reason for doing so. A cancellation letter will be sent to you at your last known address. Valid reasons may include but are not limited to:
B. Non-payment of premium
C. Threatening and abusive behaviour
D. Non-compliance with policy terms and conditions
Provided the premium has been paid in full you will be entitled to a proportionate rebate of premium in respect of the unexpired period showing on the insurance.
If your complaint about your claim cannot be resolved by the end of the next working day, the claims administrator will pass it to:
Customer Relations Department
UK General Insurance Limited
Old Mill Business Park
Gibraltar Island Road
Tel: 0845 218 2685
If it is not possible to reach an agreement, you have the right to make an appeal to the Financial Ombudsman Service. This also applies if you are insured in a business capacity and have an annual turnover of less than £2million and fewer than 10 staff. You may contact the Financial Ombudsman Service at:
The Financial Ombudsman Service
3rd Floor Lincoln House
Lo Call 1890 882090
Tel: +353 1 6620899
Fax: + 353 1 662 0890
The above complaints procedure is in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer. For further information about your statutory rights contact your local authority Trading Standards Service or Citizens Advice Bureau. Your Satisfaction
It is the intention to give you the best possible service but if you do have any questions or concerns about this insurance or the handling of a claim you should follow the complaints procedure below:
Complaints regarding: SALE OF THE POLICY
Please contact your agent who arranged the Insurance on your behalf. If your complaint about the sale of your policy cannot be resolved by the end of the next working day, your agent will pass it to:
Customer Relations Department
UK General Insurance Limited
Old Mill Business Park
Gibraltar Island Road
Leeds LS10 1RJ
Tel: 0845 218 2685
The Managing Director
37 Comber road
Tel: 02890 410220
Email : claim @misclaims.com
In all correspondence please state that your insurance is provided by UK General Insurance (Ireland) Limited.
UK General Insurance (Ireland) Limited is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme,
if they cannot meet their obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. Most insurance contracts are covered for 90% of the claim with no upper limit.
You can get more information about compensation scheme arrangements from the FSCS or visit www.fscs.org.uk
UK GENERAL INSURANCE LTD PRIVACY NOTICE
We are UK General Insurance Ltd, referred to as “we/us/our” in this notice. Our data controller registration number issued by the Information Commissioner’s Officer is Z7739575
This privacy notice is relevant to anyone who uses our services, including policyholders, prospective policyholders, and any other individuals insured under a policy. We refer to these individuals as "you/your” in this notice.
We are dedicated to being transparent about what we do with the information that we collect about you. We process your personal data in accordance with the relevant data protection legislation.
Why do we process your data?
The provision of your personal data is necessary for us to administer your insurance policy and meet our contractual requirements under the policy. You do not have to provide us with your personal data, but we may not be able to proceed appropriately or handle any claims if you decide not to do so.
What information do we collect about you?
Where you have purchased an insurance policy through one of our agents, you will be aware of the information that you gave to them when taking out the insurance. The agent will pass your information to us so that we can administer your insurance policy.
For specific types of insurance policies, for example when offering you a travel insurance policy, we may process some special categories of your personal data, such as information about your health.
We have a legitimate interest to collect this data as we are required to use this information as part of your insurance quotation or insurance policy with us. We may also process the data where it is necessary for a legal obligation, or as part of the establishment or defence of a legal claim.
UK General’s full privacy notice
This notice explains the most important aspects of how we use your data. You can get more information about this by viewing our full privacy notice online at http://ukgeneral.com/privacy-notice [^] or request a copy by emailing us at email@example.com. Alternatively, you can write to us at: Data Protection, UK General Insurance Ltd, Cast House, Old Mill Business Park, Gibraltar Island Road, Leeds, LS10 1RJ.